Locks – 1st level
First level of three courses based on the study and the planning of the mechanisms necessary for
the construction of a lock in a handicraft way.
SUBJECTS OF THE THEORETICAL PART
• Description of the tools.
• Constructional description of the keyhole.
• Constructional description of the key (unrefined forged element).
• Finishing the key (filing and drilling).
• Construction of the guiding jumpers that will make the bolts slide (the elements are
forged and refined by filing).
• Description of the construction and of the force load of the springs.
• Basic supporting pillar.
• Soldering treatments.
• Each student will have to realise an orthogonal projection of the lock that needs to be
• Cutting the basic supporting pillar on the copy of the drawing.
• Forging the components.
• Finishing touches to the forged components with trial tests.
• Development of the keyhole.
• Construction of the springs.
• Temporary assembling with screws for the trial test of each different element.
• Definitive assembling with rivets.
• Treatment and preservation .
THE COURSE WILL LAST 5 DAYS.