Embossed work on pitch
EMBOSSING WITH TAR
SPECIFIC COURSE FOR ART OBJECTS AND JEWELLERY
MATERIALS GIVEN BY THE SCHOOL FOR THIS COURSE:
• Embossing board (steel semi-sphere filled with tar component and base ring).
• Steel to forge chisels.
• Hammers to emboss.
• Sheet made of iron-plates, copper-plates and brass-plates.
• Bulk for the finishing of chisels.
• Grinders for finishing and polishing treatments.
• Use of forges, anvils, hammers and carbon for the realisation of chisels.
SUBJECTS OF THE THEORETICAL PART:
• Explanation and illustration of the tools used for the course.
• Explanation of how chisels are built and what kind of steels can be used for them.
• Grinding and polishing of the chisels’ mould.
• Quenching and tempering of chisels.
• Use of chisels.
DRAWINGS AND MATERIALS TO USE FOR THE EMBOSSING PROCESS
• Drawing of the bas relief on a 1:1 scale.
• Choice and sizing of the material used.
• Copy of the drawing with carbon paper on the metal sheet.
• Forging of certain chisels that will be used in relation to the chosen design.
• How to fix and detach the metal sheet on and from the embossing board.
• Tension annealing.
• Cleaning and polishing.
• Preservation treatment.
MATERIALS GIVEN BY CLAUDIO BOTTERO FOR A TOTAL OF SIX/EIGHT STUDENTS. FOR FURTHER
INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTENTS OF THE COURSE WRITE TO: CLAUDIOBOTTERO@LIBERO.IT THE
COURSE WILL LAST 3 DAYS.