Application of the gold leaf
The gold-plating kit is composed of: a leather cushion for the cutting of the gold leaf, a knife to section the gold leaf, brushes for the application of the gold leaf, a bear brush, Mixtion à Dorer (brand: Lefranc), an anti-rust product, gold and silver paints, soft brushes, white spirit, pinchbeck, fake silver leaf. Amount of gold leaf: on request.
SUBJECTS OF THE THEORETICAL PART:
- Explanation of the materials given to the students and illustration of how to use them.
- Cleaning of the surfaces to gild (new elements or elements that need restoration).
- Application of protective synthetic anti-rust products.
- Application of paints with a synthetic pitch, having the right shade for the gold leaf.
- Application of paints with a synthetic pitch, having the right shade for the silver leaf.
- Use of a specific product called Mixtion à Dorer (brand: Lefranc) for the application of the gold or silver leaf.
- Coating and polishing, using agate stones.
Explanation of the procedure of mercury gilding for informative and theoretical purposes.
Cleaning of the elements that will be gilded: new materials or materials that need restoration.
- Application with a soft bristled brush of a synthetic based anti-rust product.
Application with a soft bristled brush of a specific paint having the right shade for the gold or silver leaf.
Necessity of an additional application of paint to obtain a completely flat surface (for example when dealing with materials that need restoration).
Application of the Mixtion à Dorer (brand: Lefranc) on the given elements (because of the time necessary for the synthetic paints to dry, the school will be giving elements that are already ready for the Mixtion à Dorer).
Application test using pinchbeck (an alloy of copper, zinc and tin, mixed in proportions so that it closely resembles gold in appearance).
- Test for the application of the fake silver leaf.
- Application of the gold leaf.
Agate stones are used only after the Mixtion à Dorer is completely dry, on the gold leaf, applying a light pressure right above the chinks to even out the golden surface.
TO JOIN THE COURSE IT IS NECESSARY FOR THE STUDENTS TO EQUIP THEMSELVES WITH THE ESSENTIAL TOOLS AND WITH THE ELEMENTS NEEDED FOR THE APPLICATION OF THE GOLD LEAF.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTENTS OF THE COURSE AND ABOUT THE ELEMENTS THAT WILL BE GILDED WRITE TO: CLAUDIOBOTTERO@LIBERO.IT THE COURSE WILL LAST 3 DAYS.